For people new to gluten free diets it can often feel like everything they ever loved about food has been taken from them. However, there are actually a plethora of gluten free recipes and support to be found online.
Whip up a batch of these gluten free cookies using peanut butter and chocolate and enjoy one or two…or a dozen. Gluten free doesn’t mean deprivation, not if it’s done right. There’s no need to suffer so long as cooks are willing to experiment.
This gluten free cookie recipe is simple, easier to make than conventional baking recipes, and so delicious no one will ever realize the flour is missing.
Gluten Free Cookies: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar or other sweetener (Such as Splenda or Agave Syrup.)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar for coating cookies prior to baking
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (White or dark chocolate work equally well.)
Special Considerations for Gluten Free Ingredients
For cooks unfamiliar with gluten free cooking, here are some important notes on the ingredients used in this recipe.
- Natural peanut butter is preferred because it contains only peanuts and salt. Other peanut butters may not be strictly gluten free as commercial additives are used. Most stores will carry the Smucker’s brand of natural peanut butter.
- Almond flour can sometimes be found in stores that carry Bob’s Red Mill brand products. However, while Bob’s Red Mill is probably a good place to start, more experienced gluten free cooks prefer other brands. This recipe used Honeyville’s blanched almond flour which can be purchased online directly from Honeyville. Almond flour can also be used to make Gluten Free Almond Cookies.
- Note that not every chocolate chip is gluten free. Be sure to consult a list of gluten free foods to avoid problems.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat peanut butter in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds until it is runny.
- Blend together the peanut butter, eggs, vanilla and sugar/sweetener.
- Add the almond flour and baking soda.
- Mix the ingredients until well incorporated. It may be necessary to manually mix the dough with bare hands.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Form dough into small balls (roughly the size of a kumquat or a big marble).
- Coat with sugar and place on baking sheet. Since these cookies don’t spread much during cooking, it’s possible to really pack the cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 min at 350F. Not a second longer or they’ll burn.
- Let the cookies cool before touching. Moving the cookies before they set can cause them to crumble.
- Recipe yields approximately 16 cookies.